Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christmas Lessons For Next Year

Last week we had a Question of the Week, and here are the responses:



What did you learn this holiday season that you want to remember for next year? For example, I learned that playing games with the family with a well-stocked prize box was a big hit, so I’m going to work this year to have a lot of goodies socked away. I also read Pat B’s post about her great finds in Macy’s at 95% off, and I’m adding Macy’s to my post-Christmas shopping destination list.

What did you learn?


"I learned that I need to start preparing for Christmas November 1st. I put everything off until December and I find I don't have enough time to do all of the fun things like homemade gingerbread and paper snowflakes. This summer I am having the blowout of all garage sales. I am getting rid of all of the extra clutter so my house will be easy to clean and decorate. I am going to create a gift list this month so I am not caught running around at the last minute for teacher gifts. I am also going to shop all through the year during clearance sales and check some names off early. I know many of you already do this but I really want to spend next Christmas just playing with my family. I also learned I can do most of the black Friday deals online Thanskgiving day. That would have saved time this year." Becky, Centerville, MN

"The surprise on the faces of single mothers when they were presented with a bag full of gifts for themselves. Most parties there are gifts for the children only. I will keep my eyes open all year for good deals in order to provide again for next year’s party. Perhaps find out when their birthday comes around and give a gift then also. These young women need help to build up their self esteem." Evelyn Post, NJ


"After being in charge of games for the last several years for each holiday, I've learned also that the fun our family has is priceless and they truly look forward to them. Having a bunch of prizes that were free or very reasonable is fun, too. We always give checks to each person and then a bunch of small personal gifts I've collected over the year. This year I bought Christmas Bags for each person so I could put the envelope in and add the gifts without wrapping so many things. I just used tissue (free, of course) so each item is covered but it goes so much faster than wrapping each gift separately. Then they all gave the bags back to me for next year. I think my frugal nature has rubbed off on each of them. "  Carol A H, WI 


"I learned that I need to be at Target when the doors open on Dec. 26 - I was blessed to find some good clearance items - but they didn't have the ziploc bags, aluminum foil,etc. I also will definitely be adding Macy's to my list. I am also going to try and collect some candy coupons (Hershey's, Mars, Wonka, etc.) for the after Christmas sales - CVS had some great prices on the 75 % off clearance - but they would have been even better if I had coupons!"  Coupon Santa, NY

Read lots more at http://www.refundcents.com/

No comments: