Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Not From RefundCents.com

This morning, my email inbox is full of emails from "refundcents.com", subject line "Confirm your email address". If you get that, it's spam. Delete it. The way viruses work now is that they invade a computer, steal all the info from the victim's email address book, then send out spam emails which look like safe because they hijack an email address that is familiar to recipients. Because my email is in literally tens of thousands of address books, it gets hijacked regularly even though the virus never got into my own computer. So if you get something suspicious from 'refundcents.com' delete it, and know that it wasn't from me. Never click on links in an email that looks questionable. Because there is no way I can get my email address out of tens of thousands of computers, this will happen once in awhile, whenever a virus invades any of those zillions of computers. Everyone is vulnerable to having their email hijacked, even if you email only people you know well, because you have no power to protect any computer other than your own.

No comments: