Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jamba Juice Steel-Cut Oatmeal $1 Coupon and a Story

Print a coupon to get Steel Cut oatmeal at Jamba Juice for $1. (12/11) Which prompts me to tell you a story about Steel Cut oatmeal that will make you rethink the $1 price for a cup. I noticed Oprah talks often about the virtues of steel cut oatmeal. I wondered what difference it could make whether the oats were steel cut or rolled. After all, oatmeal is oatmeal and a freebie canister of Quaker Oats had always been good enough for me. One day I was at the health food store and it dawned on me to ask about steel cut oatmeal. I was shown a bag of oatmeal that didn't look anything like what's inside my canister of Quaker Oats. I was intrigued, so for $2.45, I bought the bag. I was warned that this was not instant oatmeal, that it needed to be cooked for at least 45 minutes on top of the stove -- 3 cups of water to 1 cup of
oatmeal. I was game. I ended up cooking it for almost an hour before the water was absorbed. I flavored it with some sugar and blueberries, then took my first bite. Whoa... it was definitely NOT Quaker Oats and it was better! Steel Cut Oatmeal has a different texture, with almost a nut crunch to it. It's not mushy like rolled oats. I was totally hooked after my first bowl. The single cup of dry steel cut oatmeal, when cooked, made enough for 3-4 breakfasts. Now I cook a batch, put it in a rubbermaid container in the fridge, then heat up enough for the day. I'm still working on my $2.45 bag and I've been eating it for a month. So you figure if $1 is worth it for a single cup. Well, maybe to try it, but after that, make your own.

No comments: