Thursday, October 2, 2014

Open Heart Surgery For George

I need to talk for a minute about a situation here at my house that may affect my ability to work over the next while. Hubby George just found out that he has to have open heart surgery, probably late next week. He has a leaky heart valve that needs to be repaired and an enlarged atrium that has to be modified. He's known for a long time that he had a heart murmur and a problem valve, but it has finally gotten to the point where he's sick, fatigued, and is having symptoms, including afib. He has some final tests coming Monday at the hospital, then a consultation with the cardiovascular surgeon that afternoon, and we are thinking the surgery will follow later next week. Actually, we both feel good about the situation. His cardiologist is very positive, and not worried about bad things happening. George has no other health problems, so the odds are excellent that he will come through with flying colors and feel a lot better after recovery. He will be hospitalized for a week, and in ICU for the first couple days. I will be at the hospital a lot, then I will be his nurse when he comes home. It remains to be seen how much opportunity I will have to do any work on the laptop. I know Monday I will be off line most of the day, then will know more about when the big surgery will happen. I've been distracted with this situation for a week, but have been able to keep up with work. I know there will be days, and maybe a full week, when I will be off line most of the time. I'll post when that happens, so everyone will not wonder if I'm playing hooky. Thanks for understanding. 

We've been looking at diagrams like this all week. It's his severely leaky mitral valve that needs to be fixed and his enlarged left atrium. I now know more about the heart than I ever learned in school.   






2 comments:

Dan said...

My Prayers are with you and your family, thank you for all you do for us, don't worry about us. Take care of your family and you. We all appreciate you. Love and prayers to you and your family. Dan

Unknown said...

God does answer prayers. He listens to all of us. And yes, take care of your husband since he needs you. Patty