Friday, January 17, 2014

Off Topic: One Way I Got More Veggies In My Diet

 
I put together a simple and easy recipe that totally rocks when it comes to upping my daily servings of vegetables. I used what I had on hand, and also made a trip to the store to come up with:

4 small red potatoes
1 large sweet potato - peeled
3 beets - peeled
2 yellow onions
1 red sweet pepper
1/2 lb brussels sprouts -- each one cut in half
2 carrots
1 butternut squash - peeled (from my garden)
1 turnip


I cut everything up into bite-size chunks and mixed it all together in a large mixing bowl. Then I scooped out about 1/4 of it into a smaller bowl, and added 2 tsp olive oil to the smaller bowl. I tossed the veggies until they were lightly coated and added a little salt. I poured them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I baked them for 30 minutes at 350.
When done, I piled my plate high and that was my dinner! Super healthy. Next time I'll throw in some cauliflower and a parsnip, and experiment with some spices.


I divided the rest into two gallon size ziploc bags and put them in the refrigerator to bake over the next two days. 

P.S. As a sign of the times, when I checked out at the grocery store, the checker (young gal) looked at the turnip for a minute, then politely asked, "What's this?"
I think we are losing the ability to cook and eat real food.

No comments: