Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spay/Neuter

I had The Price is Right on in my office and just heard Drew Cary say Be sure to get your pets spayed and neutered. I have to add my 2 cents and thank him for carrying on Bob Barker's mission to help animals. I have my first foster kitties of the new year - two mama cats who share 4 kittens. The mamas are probably sisters. They stay huddled together. One had 6 kittens but 5 died before they came to me. The other had 3 kittens. The kittens nurse off both mothers. They were rescued from a cat hoarder. The rescue group had to find placements for lots of cats. Unfortunately, the mamas are not socialized and will be very hard to place permanently. They were well fed, but you can tell they have had little human contact - they hide and have fear in their eyes. The kittens are healthy and play with me, so they will be fine. Three of them are about 3 weeks old, the single one is about a week old. I'll have them for the next 6-8 weeks, until they are ready to be spayed and placed. Then the mamas will be spayed and hopefully I'll have them socialized and trusting enough to go to permanent homes. Anyway, if you have an unspayed pet, please act now. If money is a factor, call your local humane society and find out when they have their low-cost spay/neuter clinics. Cats especially go into heat now to have spring kittens. By coincidence, I just read that today Feb 23 is "Spay Day 2010". See more here and find a local clinic that is participating.

No comments: